Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Detroit Docs International Film Festival 2004




On Saturday I went to the Detroit Docs International Film Festival. It was great! I attended one “session” that included two films about collecting- “Other People’s Pictures” and “Dishes”. “Other People’s Pictures” was very interesting. It was about 9 different collectors who collect, well, other people’s pictures. It sounded kind of strange but after seeing the film I understand why they do it now. “Dishes”, on the other hand, was fabulous! It was funny, informative and thought provoking. I highly recommend it, especially if you are into collecting anything, really like Fiesta or don’t understand collecting at all. (If you collect Fiesta you really need to own this movie.) I even got to meet the filmmaker after the viewing. How often does that happen?

The film got me thinking about why I like and am starting to collect Fiesta. Well, I’ve always liked Fiesta, especially because of the retro, kitchy feeling that comes with it. I never could afford it though because the prices are OUTRAGOUS for the vintage stuff. I didn’t even realize they had started making it again until I went about setting up my bridal registry last year. (I was in high school and college in the late 80’s and 90’s so I really wasn’t paying much attention to popular dish patterns.) And then it hit me……

Fiestaware is my rebellion against china patterns.

Plus it looks fabulous in my black and white kitchen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home