Thursday, December 23, 2004

Do They Know it's Christmas Time?
Yet, do they really care?




I was driving home from work this week when I heard that Christmas song by Band Aid on the radio. A flood of teenage/new wave/punk rocker memories came pouring out. Of course I remembered all of the words but then it hit me.

Isn't Ethiopia a Muslim country?

According to the CIA's World Factbook, Ethiopia is 50% Muslim and about 40% Ethiopian Orthodox. Of which Ethiopian Orthodox celebrate Christmas on January 7 and call it Ledet. So I guess the real question here is, do they really care if it's Christmas or not?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great song for a great cause, but when half of the population is Muslim, I don't think Christmas plays a big part in their lives.

Sorry for the bah humbug. It was just a deep thought I had while I was stuck in traffic.

Happy Holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home