Friday, December 23, 2005

On The Turn Table At My House



I am an insomniac. I have a really hard time going to sleep and an even harder time staying asleep. The only way I can go to sleep is to have a TV or radio on and unfortunately my husband can't go to sleep with any sound at all. So to reach a happy compromise I purchased an AM/FM/clock/radio/CD player with earbuds and I don't understand how I got along without it. I have also taken up the same habit I used to do when I was a kid and I couldn't sleep- cruise up and down the AM dial to see what stations I could get. You would be amazed at the strange and wonderful programming that goes on in the middle of the night. Did you know there is a Trucking Network? A bunch of high powered stations change over to this format during the night and it's really quite interesting. Even the commercials cater to truckers. (WJR from Detroit changes to this format if anybody local is really interested.)

Lately I have been hooked on a local "nostalgia" station, WFNT 1470am out of Flint. Yeah, they play a lot of stuff like Frank and Bing but just about every third song is something I've never heard before or some one hit wonder song that I've maybe heard once in my life. (If anybody is scared to know this about me then don't fear, my musical tastes change more often that I change the oil in my car.) I've always appreciated and enjoyed this music, it's just that I'm really appreciating the stuff I've never heard before. For example, I can't get this song out of my head. I've heard it before but it's such a beautiful, simple song that I can't believe I haven't heard it more often.

So because of this renewed love of swing and "nostalgia" music, I plucked the above Christmas CD out of the discount bin on a midnight run to Wally World the other night. It's very good and falls into the catagory of my love for Christmas music. See? There was a point to all of this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Skipper Sez - WOW, I guess the old saying is still very, very true. "The fruit never falls far from the tree." I did the same thing back in my youth. Used to listen to the Wolfman when he was down in Mexico. And so it goes.

Sun Dec 25, 05:14:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home