Thursday, January 26, 2006

Remember Sassy Magazine?



If you were a teenage girl in the late 80's then I'm sure you remember Sassy Magazine. This isn't a retrospective of Sassy, I can always do that some other time. This is a post about projects started and never completed.

On page 44 of the December 1988 issue there is a photo of two models laying on a bed, see picture above. I fell in love with that quilt and I was determined to reproduce it. Now mind you, I had been sewing for half of my life but I'd never made a quilt nor did I have any idea as to how to start it. I knew my grandma made a lot of things by making her own patterns so I thought I'd do it the way she did it. I got some newspaper, cut some squares and voila! Instant pattern. Eventually I never finished the quilt and it went into a plastic shoebox labeled "Sassy quilt" and has sat in my closet for years.

Cut to January 2006. EIGHTEEN YEARS LATER, PEOPLE. I'm cleaning out my craft room and I come across this box again. This box of stuff for a quilt that I've been putting off until I have time to do it. Well, seeing as how I'm only working part-part-time right now I figure this is the time to do it. So I dug it out and laid out all of the pieces I had cut while I was in high school.

I have enough pieces cut for a king size quilt. That's a hell of a lot of pieces, baby.

So I started sewing them together and this what it's looking like-
Close but not quite. A little too country for me and I think my squares should have been bigger. Most of the squares are crooked or slanted but that's o.k., I was young and this was my first time. I'll let you know when it's finished.

BTW, the picture of the two girls on the bed is an actual scan of the very same issue that inspired me. I found it in my stash of Sassys I have tucked away at my parent's house.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andre said...

I remember that issue. I fell in love with the idea of two half naked women in bed together.

Thu Jan 26, 08:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger jmswilfong said...

That is so awsome. I am too a crafter that ends up putting started projects in a box in the closet. Finish it! I know you can!!(sending "finish me" vibes through screen). Taking 18 years to finish will make it even better.

Thu Jan 26, 08:46:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for you getting back to quilting!

(I found you via Denise's site--Creative Exile. Always good to see another crafty person from Michigan.)

Fri Jan 27, 01:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger elizabeth said...

i think your quilt is awesome! esp. if its your first attempt at a quilt. i would love to do it but they look so intimidating to me.

sigh!

Fri Jan 27, 07:55:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool and I think the pic of what you have done so for looks awesome!! I'd love a quilt like that, you can finish it! I would love to know how to do quilting.
Also... I totally loved Sassy. I remember being banned from it though because of the issue that talked about masturbation. I really loved that issue... but my dad didn't think it was appropriate and took it away from me and wouldn't let me get the mag again. Which is weird considering how open he is about sex at times. But you never know when he'll decide to be uptight.

Sun Jan 29, 12:08:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home