Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Y'all



I'm Irish and I used to love St. Patrick's Day but when you don't drink it is somewhat of a pointless holiday. I've searched high and low for a way to celebrate around here but everything seems to be all about the green beer and getting drunk. It's interesting to me how such a negative ethnic stereotype can be so widely celebrated in this country and nobody bats an eyelash.

So go out and rent The Quiet Man today or be sure and catch it on one of the multiple cable channels that always play it today. It's the classic Irish movie and John Wayne's character has my last name. So there. There is my obligatory Irish post of the day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andre said...

I bet there is a church service you could catch if you really want to celebrate the day.

Fri Mar 17, 04:03:00 PM EST  
Blogger vintage lilac said...

O' joy of joys, sounds like a freakin' BLAST.

I seriously looked within a 50 mile radius for something, anything, to do tonight other than hang out at a bar and get wasted. No dice. I know I'm pushing the edge of hillbillyville but come on. What about Irish music? or food? or dancing? or anything? It just sucks that people only think about beer on this day (and green at that) when there is so much other stuff connected to the holiday.

Fri Mar 17, 05:09:00 PM EST  
Blogger Andre said...

So, did you watch The Quiet Man? It's been on non-stop. I haven't caught it from the beginning though, so I still haven't seen it. We got it from the library a few weeks ago, but we didn't get around to it then either. I sort of have a John Wayne block.

Mon Mar 20, 12:44:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Skipper Sez - You mean to say that you don't have your own personal copy of "The Quite Man" like your brother, father, neice and nephew? For shame..............

Thu Mar 23, 09:33:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home