Saturday, March 11, 2006

Is Nothing As It Appears To Be?



Yesterday I learned that hipster author JT LeRoy is actually a 40 year old woman by the name of Laura Albert. Ya know, the whole story sounded fishy to me from the beginning. A teenage cross-dressing prostitute who's own mother (who's not much older) pimps him out to truckers at truck stops? Hmmm....and that whole trend of wearing a raccoon penis bone around your neck kind of creeped me out. I actually broke down and read the book "Sarah" a few years ago and I have to say I wasn't that impressed.

I also learned that Sophie Kinsella, the author of the Shopaholic series, is not who she appears, either. Of course I can't find anything on the 'net about it, but when I was in Borders yesterday a brand new book by the same author was out with a quasi explanation that is was the same author only she's using her real name know. Err.....O.K. If you say so.....

I wonder how Oprah feels about all of this.

The best news I've heard all week is that the first season of Dharma and Greg is coming out on DVD in June (It's one of my all time favorite TV shows) and that Norah Jones' band The Little Willies finally have an album out and it rocks. Yee-haw!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Andre said...

I don't understand the concern. It's just pen names.

Sun Mar 12, 12:22:00 PM EST  
Blogger vintage lilac said...

Andre- In JT LeRoy's case it's more than just a pen name, "Sarah" was suposed to be his "story". There was even a hired actress to play him in public. That's going a little too far, I think. But yeah, the other one is just a pen name. I just found it interesting that I found out both in the same day.

Steph- Ya know, I never thought of Dharma as being a dumbass. Sure she got herself in some crazy situations and who doesn't?;-) Most of the time I felt she was the smartest one in the room, especially when it came to people and relationships. The only big dumbass move I remember was when she started cheating on Greg with her GED teacher and then got in that car accident and blah, blah, blah. I kind of stopped watching after that.

Sun Mar 12, 02:01:00 PM EST  
Blogger woof nanny said...

I've read everything by Madeleine Wickham that I could get my hands on. I used to get the shopaholic books from the UK before they were available here. The Cocktails for Three is pretty good. All fluff, predictable, and an easy read...but that's okay. Sometimes all I want is fluff.

Fri Mar 24, 01:42:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home