Monday, March 06, 2006

The Worst Oscars Ever.



I'll admit it, I like to watch the Oscars. I've always wanted to have an Oscar party but living in the the Eastern Time Zone puts a damper on things. (I don't know too many people who could stay up that late on a Sunday night and still make it to work the next morning.) So yesterday I decided to have an evening of "glamour"- I dyed my hair, my husband trimmed it, I put on a face mask, gave myself a pedicure, etc. It was a lot of fun but next time will work out a whole lot better if I could put a TV in the bathroom.

The show began and as the opening minutes ticked by the more painful it got. (At 10 minutes I begged for it to be over with.) Jon Stewart was absolutely awful and I like the man. In the first few minutes I learned that Mr. Stewart is a big time Republican and thinks Hollywood is completely out of touch with the real world. Nice. Why would a man stand on a stage in front of his peers saying they are out of touch with the world? Oh, and you aren't? I just think all of the negativity against Hollywood should have been checked at the door of the Academy Awards. (Don't get me wrong, I think Hollywood is out of touch, too. I just wouldn't stand on a stage and tell them to their face on the biggest night of their lives.) He even made a lot of negative statements that went absolutely nowhere. As in, he said "I don't know where I'm going with this." Wow. Shouldn't you have planned that a little better?

And what was up with the music playing while the winners were trying to give their acceptance speeches? It was soooo annoying!!!! When the camera finally panned back for a full shot you could see that the orchestra pit was directly in front of them! Imagine standing in front of your peers trying to thank everyone you are supposed to while a band is playing between you and your audience. That's talent. I can't even talk on my cell phone when I've got a radio on too loud in the room.

All in all I was very disappointed. At least Crash won best picture. I was really bummed Dolly Parton lost to the Three 6 Mafia. And if anyone sees mention of how many FCC fines the show got for the numerous uses of profanity spewed out by the Three 6 Mafia I'd LOVE to see it. I highly doubt they will though.

4 Comments:

Blogger elizabeth said...

yeah, i kept thinking all last night that when we move into the new house, i'm ordering all the oscar crap from plumparty.com and having an oscar party.

i was a lil disppointed too! i mean we all know why we watch, to see the big winner catagories (or at least i do) so they do supporting actor at the beginning and then its all the other things that i don't have a clue and to be honest really don't care about. i ended up turning it off around 830cst and watched murder she wrote on dvd :)~

Mon Mar 06, 01:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger Andre said...

>>In the first few minutes I learned that Mr. Stewart is a big time Republican

We were busy watching Lost last night so we didn't see the Oscars. You will need to explain this comment a bit.

Mon Mar 06, 03:32:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every year I try to pull off a cool oscar party and every year I fail- and I don't have the time zone excuse, so, I'm truly lame.

i thought last night was dull as heck. thanks to the miracle of tivo, we skipped over nearly everything boring, which was, um, a lot of it. Still, I'm thrilled for Crash and Resse Witherspoon, so it wasn't a total waste. And, my girlfriend and I drank champagne and ate sushi and cheesecake, so that was good...

Mon Mar 06, 05:18:00 PM EST  
Blogger vintage lilac said...

Andre- I wish I could find some transcripts from last night. If Mr. Stewart is not a big time republican, then his jokes made absolutely no sense then. I'm going to keep looking for some transcripts from his opening monologue.....

Mon Mar 06, 05:30:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home