Thursday, April 27, 2006

Mom's Every Holiday Sweatshirt Jacket



My Mother-in-Law is an elementary school teacher. Because of this she has twenty-seven bajillion holiday sweaters in ever size, shape and color. I've always wondered why they didn't have one sweater that covered every holiday. For Christmas last year I decided to condense her collection down to one holiday sweater. Thus creating the every holiday sweatshirt jacket inspired by a sweatshirt jacket pattern from (once again) an old Sassy Magazine pattern I used back in high school. After my mom saw what I was doing she decided she wanted one, too.

First, I cut the cuffs, crew neck and waistband off. Then, I made a slit down the middle to create the jacket look. I hemed around the edges, found four sew-on clasps and sewed them on for "buttons". After about a year of collecting holiday inspired fabrics I cut them into squares and sewed them on to the jaacket overlapping them around the waistband.

I finished my MIL's in time for Christmas but my mom's was wasn't quite complete and since she was leaving for Florida the day after Christmas and didn't really need it right away, it kind of got put on hold. oops. Now, four months later, it got moved to the top of the UFO pile to be finished by the time they got back home. Now it's finished and in my mother's hot little hands. Hallelujah.

The best part of the project was looking for all of the holiday fabric. I found New Year's Eve fabric, Kwanza, Easter, Fourth of July and Memorial Day (flags) and I even found some Mardi Gras and Chinese New Year fabric online. If only I could find some MLK Day fabric I'd be all set.



3 Comments:

Blogger jmswilfong said...

That's wonderful!!!

Thu Apr 27, 12:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger vintage lilac said...

Bring it on, sista. Bring. It. On.

Fri Apr 28, 06:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger woof nanny said...

That is way cute. Which issue is that in?

Thu May 04, 04:37:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home