Monday, January 28, 2008

Christmas Crafts One Month Later...




I try to make my own Christmas presents as much as possible because I can't bring myself to spend wads of cash on something that will be thrown by the wayside at the end of the day. Sometimes I'll spend months racking my brain for ideas and then sometimes the ideas hit me like a ton of bricks. Over the summer my husband's grandmother gave me a jar of beach glass that the grandkids had collected for 30 years at their cottage on Lake Huron. I felt bad taking it but I knew I could do something with it. This year everyone in my husband's family got a set of beach glass ornaments for their Christmas tree. The picture isn't very good but it's the only one I've got. I took the glass, wire wrapped it and then added beads and other things to spice them up a bit.

In doing research for this project I realized that sometimes it's referred to as "sea glass" and other times "beach glass". (It really bothered some people that I called it "beach glass" instead of "sea glass".) Honestly, can you really call it "Sea Glass" if it was found on a Great Lake? We are nowhere near the "sea".....

Update on the burial ceremony: It was probably the best, laidback, most enjoyable funeral service I have ever been to. Every man got a pinch of tobacco while the women got a pinch of cedar which we were to hold in our left hand while thinking good thoughts about the deceased. One by one people would go up front to say a few words and then drop what's in your hand into a handkerchief to be used in a fire ceremony later. It was great to hear all of the stories. There was even a 21 gun salute after the ceremony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home